It’s that time of the year again! Dreamation 2012 will be held at the Morristown Hyatt in Morristown, NJ from Thursday, February 23 to Sunday, February 26, 2012. Will you be there? Do you dare to have that much fun?
There will be an Indie Games Explosion at Dreamation. The Explosion always features dozens of the very best indie games and dozens of the best indie game GMs and designers running them.
The Explosion needs your help! We need you to come to the con and play games. We need you to come to the con and RUN games! Read on to find out how!
Come and play
If you just want to come to Morristown and have a blast, hereâ€™s how you can help make the Explosion great:
1) Go to the registration page and pre-register for the con.
2) Watch this thread for announcements of what events people are planning to run.
3) When the official schedule is up, around February 14-16, register for the games you want to play.
4) Come to Morristown and bring your A-game!
Come and run
The nitroglycerin at the heart of every Indie Games Explosion are all the great folks who come out with a game in hand, ready to rock the house. If youâ€™ve got a game session in your soul, burning to get out, hereâ€™s how you can help:
1) Post your event description here, or on your blog, or wherever the kids are chattering these days. Get people excited about your game.
2) Send an e-mail to my gmail account: brennanrtaylor. At that point, I will send you a Google document that contains all the information we need from you in order to officially register the event. Fill it out and return it BEFORE January 25, 2012.
3) If you run at least three events, you will receive a GM badge to the convention. At some point in January, we will send you a code you can use on the registration page.
4) When the official schedule is up, around February 13-14, register for the games you want to play.
5) Come to Morristown and revel!
A Note on Small Events
Games sessions for 4 players are a bit of a sticky situation. On the one hand, they take up an entire table for an entire gaming slot while only entertaining a few people. On the other hand, some of the best indie games are only built for 4 and create less fun for everybody if expanded.
Like last year, Iâ€™m going to ask you to consider running sessions for 5 or 6 players. By â€œconsider,â€ I donâ€™t mean â€œyou mustâ€ or â€œyou shouldâ€ or â€œyou will be shunned unless.â€ I simply mean â€œthink about it.â€ Step away from the Internet for a moment, look at your game shelf, and ask yourself if you have a 5 or 6 player game youâ€™ve been wanting to run. Can you stretch your abilities in that direction? Do you want to? Can you run Game A for 6 players in addition to running Game B for 4 players?
I canâ€™t answer those questions. Iâ€™d just like you to answer them for yourself and your own situation. If the answer is â€œI want to run a bunch of 4 player games,â€ then thatâ€™s fine and we want you on-board for the Explosion.
Dreamation is a great place for games-in-development to get put through their paces. Not only is it easy to get people you donâ€™t know to sign up for the game youâ€™re working on, but some of the sharpest game designers will be there looking for new games to test.
If your game isnâ€™t done, but you think it is at a point where it can probably entertain people for 3 to 4 hours, then register it as a regular event. Just please include the word â€œPlaytestâ€ in your event description.
If your game isnâ€™t done, and you donâ€™t know whether it works at all, itâ€™s probably not ready to run as a regular event. However, donâ€™t lose hope! Post about it here and see if people are interested. Itâ€™s easy to arrange an informal playtest session at Dreamation, where a bunch of people meet in the lobby or a hotel room and give your game a workout, or make sure to put Metatopia on your calendar for 2012. Metatopia is run in November and is specifically designed for games in playtest or games before they are even ready for playtest.
Assorted Other Stuff
Iâ€™m posting this on Story Games, but thereâ€™s probably other places on the Internet that might want to get involved. If you know of such a place, please invite them to participate. The more, the merrier.
None of the above is set in stone. If youâ€™ve got suggestions, I want to hear them. I’ll be doing my best to monitor these threads for questions and the like. However, if I havenâ€™t responded in timely fashion, please e-mail me at brennanrtaylor on gmail with a link to the question. Thanks for your help.
See you in February!