Planning has begun for Games on Demand at PAX East 2013 in Boston (March 22-24). The event will take place in the Tabletop hall again this year, and we’re working with organizers to secure space on the main aisle across from all the vendor booths. Â Complimentary guest badges will be available to volunteers, giving you access to the show for the whole weekend. Volunteering involves a combination of hosting and running games you love for enthusiastic strangers, for a total of 12 hours over the course of the show. Everyone who volunteered last year said that it was a lot of fun. If you’re interested in joining us, just send us a message and let us know!
We’ve already begun to organize for next year! If you’re interested in GMing, send an email to Kira Scott at anansi at gmail. We’ll add you to the already bustling list of GMs ready to rock the event this year!
Also join our Facebook group to meet the community of GMs and players: Indie Games on Demand – Origins.
We look forward to seeing you all in Columbus Ohio, rolling dice and playing games!
Are you coming to Gen Con next week? Don’t miss Games on Demand, because this year it’s going to be fantastic!
WHAT: Volunteer GMs running a selection of their favorite independent and small press games, just for you!
WHEN: Thursday-Saturday August 16-18th, 10am-10pm, Sunday August 19th, 10am-2pm
WHERE: Main Convention Center, Room 238
No planned events or pre-registered games for Gen Con? No problem!
Bring your generic tickets and get a taste of cutting-edge small press games including:
Fiasco, Monsterhearts, Dungeon World, Apocalypse World, Dogs in the Vineyard, Cthulhu Dark, Bulldogs!, Swords Without Master, Technoir, Our Last Best Hope, Lady Blackbird, Dread, and many more.
Guest starring a few favorites including Marvel Heroic, Mouse Guard, and Trail of Cthulhu.
No experience is necessary: our friendly GMs teach all the rules! Bring generic tickets and enthusiasm to room 238 and we will find a game for you!
For a handy printable map of the participating vendors in the Exhibitor hall and contact information for the event, see our Gen Con 2012 Games on Demand Handout. Please print a few dozen copies and bring them along to share!
The following is a report of the games that were run at Games on Demand at PAX East this year. In each case, the game title is listed with (roughly) the number of players at the table.
- 10am: Fiasco (4), Bulldogs (4), Marvel (4)
- 2pm: Fiasco (4), Marvel (5), Marvel (5)
- 4pm: Burning Wheel (5), Marvel (5), Fiasco (2), Marvel (3)
- 6pm: Fiasco (6), Dungeon World (5), Fiasco (3), Slay With Me (2)
- 8pm: Fiasco (5), Burning Wheel (5), Fiasco (3), Marvel (5), CthulhuTech (4), Fiasco (2)
- 10pm: Fiasco (5), 1001 Nights (4), CthulhuTech (5), Marvel (4)
- 10am: Eclipse Phase (4), Marvel (7), Marvel (6)
- 12pm: Bulldogs (4), Trail of Cthulhu (4), Fiasco (4), Marvel (4)
- 2pm: The Play’s The Thing (3), Inspectres (4), Fiasco (4), Microscope (4), Fiasco (5), Fiasco (4), Fiasco (5), Marvel (6), Burning Wheel (3)
- 4pm: Houses of the Blooded (4), Always Never Now (5), Psi*Run (4), Burning Wheel (4), Fiasco (4), Marvel (5), Leverage (4), Fiasco (4), Dread (5)
- 6pm: Apocalypse World (5), Fiasco (4), Marvel (6), Marvel (4), Action Castle (3), Zombie Cinema (3), Eclipse Phase (5), Marvel (5)
- 8pm: Fiasco (4), Marvel (5), Dresden Files (3), Action Castle (3), Fiasco (6), Mouse Guard (5), Technoir (4)
- 10pm: Fiasco (4), Fiasco (4), Fiasco (4), Psi*Run (4), Eternity (4)
- 10am: FreeMarket (4), Game Design (3)
- 12pm: PsiRun (5), Marvel (5), Lady BlackBird (4), Eclipse Phase (5), Apocalypse World (4), Burning Wheel (4), Marvel (6)
- 2pm: PsiRun (4), Fiasco (4), Fiasco (4), Dread (4)
- 3pm: Mouse Guard (5), Fiasco (4), Fiasco (4), Fiasco (4), The Play’s The Thing (4), 3:16 (4)
A few notes about these numbers:
- This information is a best guess, and our records are sketchy. The number of players are definitelyÂ wrong in places and we probably missed a few games.
- Similarly, many of these times are not accurate. It may say 2pm but the game may have actually started at 1:30 or 3pm.
- We had 6 tables but at some point we borrowed 3 more and had 9 games going on at the same time.
- A significant portion of the GMs were people who had played games with us, loved GoD, and came back to run games for us!
- Several games had audience members just watching.
- We had a significant number of people who had never roleplayed before but we didn’t track those details.
- We didn’t record how long games ran. They ranged from 30 minutes to 1hr, 2hrs, 4hrs, and 5hrs.
Here are a few snapshots from Games on Demand at PAX East. The event, like the rest of the Tabletop hall, was packed most of the weekend. Here are some of our awesome GMs running games for enthusiastic attendees.
Notably absent from these pictures is Terry Romero, who really held down the fort the whole show. I think she talked to almost every player who sat at one of our tables!
Indie Games Explosion is back for Dexcon 15 and this year there have been Â some awesome additions to the convention.
Today at 2pm the registration for Dexcon 15 goes Live! Today you can register for the convention and seven newÂ Signature events. Check them out with the links below.
Seven Signature Events
The $5000 Interactive Puzzle Challenge
The $1000 Team Space Marine ChampionshipÂ
2012 Iron GM Reginional Semi-Final
The $1000 Beat the Mob! Game Show
The $1000 Night’s Black Agents Team ChampionshipÂ
The $1000 Space Cadets – Live! ExperienceÂ
The $500 Summer Poker Championship
If you are interested in running scheduled games, let us know. GMs who put in enough games will receive comped badges.
The event will be held in the Convention Center on the upper floor overlooking the Exhibitor hall. We’ll have our own 12 table room, giving us twice the space we had last year, in a more central location. To make best use of the space, we’ll be splitting the tables into both standard Games on Demand open gaming and scheduled games, taking tickets for both as we did last year (1 specific or generic ticket / 2 hour slot).
If you’re interested in running scheduled games or volunteering to GM open games or help facilitate GoD, let us know. Volunteers and GMs who put in enough hours will get comped badges (and maybe a place to sleep). In addition, Indie Press Revolution and possibly other vendors will be offering discounts for GMs and players.
Are you coming to PAX East? Do you like fun? come play some tabletop games!
Games on Demand is coming to PAX East this year (April 6-8), and we’d like you to join us. The event will be happening in the tabletop gaming area near the exhibitor booths, and we’ll be running games from 10am to 10pm or later on Friday and Saturday, and 10am to 6pm on Sunday.
We’ll have a great selection of indie and small press games running in 2 to 4 hour blocks, with GMs offering up a selection of their favorites for you to choose from. And if you’re interested in running games yourself, we’re always looking for more GMs. All you need to do is contact us and let us know when you’ll be available.
In addition, we have a limited number of special badges for GMs who commit to running games on the schedule. If you don’t already have a badge and would like one, let us know as soon as possible and we’ll get you set up!
Do you need GMs to volunteer ahead of time?
It’s always helpful to know when GMs are going to be there so we can make sure the tables are covered. If you want to commit to some 2-hour slots, that would be great! Just drop us a line and we’ll add your name to our schedule.
I should be clear that we prefer it if GMs come prepared with a couple of game options in hand. It just makes it easier to meet the demand for a game everyone wants to play.
How much notice do you need for people playing?
Players don’t need to give notice- just drop by (ideally around even-numbered hours, starting at 10am) and ask the host what games are starting. We’ll pitch the games and do our best to find you an open spot in a game that sounds good to you.
And how will people find you in the tabletop area?
The Games on Demand tables should be located
next to the Compleat Strategist booth in areas D1 and D2, just past the WOTC block and behind the Tabletop HQ booth and lending library. We’re very close to the Pandemonium Books and Games booth as well, who will be carrying many of the games. We’ll try to have signs up as well, but if you can’t find us, ask the Tabletop information booth or HQ for directions. In a pinch, you should be able to get updates on Twitter from @games_on_demand
Hey! You! Gamers! Are you coming to Origins Game Fair in Columbus, Ohio this year? The convention runs May 30-June 3, 2012 at the Greater Columbus Convention Center located right downtown. We would love to see your game faces at our Indie Games on Demand event!
Last year we hosted a room full of small press games and the gamers who love them. There’s still plenty of time to be a part of the event this year, if you’re interested in playing games or running them.
Join the discussion on Facebook at Indie Games On Demand – Origins