Games on Demand at PAX East was a blast this year. Our awesome volunteer GMs kept 8-10 tables running almost constantly and there were many great games. The event was located in an excellent spot across from the Indie Bazaar, Burning Wheel/Memento Mori/Dungeon World, and Modern Myths booths which created an exciting atmosphere.
Indie Games Explosion will be a premier event group for Gen Con 2013 this August 15th-18th!
This means that ourÂ Games On Demand (GoD)Â event will have the opportunity to be highlighted in Gen Con’s 2013 program guide. As well as priority placement, premium event chart listings, email blast advertising, and mentions on Gen Con’s website.
GoD this year is going to be an amazing opportunity. In 2012 we reached almost 1,400 player tickets and this year is only going to be bigger. But bigger isnâ€™t always better, we also have many improvements on the way as we collected a ton of feedback last year.
The biggest Gaming Con in the US with an attendance of around 40,000 people! More here:Â http://www.gencon.com/
Games on Demand?
Games on Demand is an open-gaming event put on at conventions where we run a variety of independent and cutting edge games.
Gaming conventions typically focus on scheduled games- you buy a ticket for an event, you find your seat, you play that game. Â But sometimes slots fill up, you canâ€™t find the games you want, or you don’t want to have to plan your schedule months in advance. Games on Demand gives you the opportunity to drop by and play!
Games on Demand focuses on small press and independent games but we’re pretty open. If there isn’t a place for your RPG at Gen Con, bring it to Games On Demand! We especially love different, new, and old gems that feel new again. And we love supporting indie and new small press publishers and game designers.
Who’s in charge?
Games on Demand is organized and run by friendly volunteers. We’re not in it for money or fame. We just love games and want to share the love. Different people lead Games on Demand at different conventions. At Gen Con, our leader is +Steve Segedy.
How do I play?
If you want to play, just show up before the slot begins (typically starting every even hour of the event), bring a generic ticket, talk with the hosts to find a game, and then sit down and play!
How do I volunteer to GM or Host?
We’re still planning things out, but you can sign up to volunteer right now! When you’re ready, drop us a line using theÂ Contact UsÂ form.
Do I get anything for GMing or Hosting?
Yes! If you volunteer to GM or Host at specific times for 16 hours (which can be as simple as 1 game a day, or 4 hours a day), you get a free badge to Gen Con! Your badge will be waiting for you at Gen Con.
If you volunteer for 22-24 hours (we’re working on the specific hours now) you get a free badge AND 1/4th a nearby hotel paid for! We will try our best to work with you to help you find roommates that you’re comfortable with.
What if I already have a badge?
If you want to buy a badge before Gen Con so you can signup for other events, Gen Con will reimburse you.
For the latest information, follow Games_On_Demand on Twitter:Â http://twitter.com/Games_On_Demand
Planning has begun for Games on Demand at PAX East 2013 in Boston (March 22-24). The event will take place in the Tabletop hall again this year, and we’re working with organizers to secure space on the main aisle across from all the vendor booths. Â Complimentary guest badges will be available to volunteers, giving you access to the show for the whole weekend. Volunteering involves a combination of hosting and running games you love for enthusiastic strangers, for a total of 12 hours over the course of the show. Everyone who volunteered last year said that it was a lot of fun. If you’re interested in joining us, just send us a message and let us know!
We’ve already begun to organize for next year! If you’re interested in GMing, send an email to Kira Scott at anansi at gmail. We’ll add you to the already bustling list of GMs ready to rock the event this year!
Also join our Facebook group to meet the community of GMs and players: Indie Games on Demand – Origins.
We look forward to seeing you all in Columbus Ohio, rolling dice and playing games!
Are you coming to Gen Con next week? Don’t miss Games on Demand, because this year it’s going to be fantastic!
WHAT: Volunteer GMs running a selection of their favorite independent and small press games, just for you!
WHEN: Thursday-Saturday August 16-18th, 10am-10pm, Sunday August 19th, 10am-2pm
WHERE: Main Convention Center, Room 238
No planned events or pre-registered games for Gen Con? No problem!
Bring your generic tickets and get a taste of cutting-edge small press games including:
Fiasco, Monsterhearts, Dungeon World, Apocalypse World, Dogs in the Vineyard, Cthulhu Dark, Bulldogs!, Swords Without Master, Technoir, Our Last Best Hope, Lady Blackbird, Dread, and many more.
Guest starring a few favorites including Marvel Heroic, Mouse Guard, and Trail of Cthulhu.
No experience is necessary: our friendly GMs teach all the rules! Bring generic tickets and enthusiasm to room 238 and we will find a game for you!
For a handy printable map of the participating vendors in the Exhibitor hall and contact information for the event, see our Gen Con 2012 Games on Demand Handout. Please print a few dozen copies and bring them along to share!
The following is a report of the games that were run at Games on Demand at PAX East this year. In each case, the game title is listed with (roughly) the number of players at the table.
- 10am: Fiasco (4), Bulldogs (4), Marvel (4)
- 2pm: Fiasco (4), Marvel (5), Marvel (5)
- 4pm: Burning Wheel (5), Marvel (5), Fiasco (2), Marvel (3)
- 6pm: Fiasco (6), Dungeon World (5), Fiasco (3), Slay With Me (2)
- 8pm: Fiasco (5), Burning Wheel (5), Fiasco (3), Marvel (5), CthulhuTech (4), Fiasco (2)
- 10pm: Fiasco (5), 1001 Nights (4), CthulhuTech (5), Marvel (4)
- 10am: Eclipse Phase (4), Marvel (7), Marvel (6)
- 12pm: Bulldogs (4), Trail of Cthulhu (4), Fiasco (4), Marvel (4)
- 2pm: The Play’s The Thing (3), Inspectres (4), Fiasco (4), Microscope (4), Fiasco (5), Fiasco (4), Fiasco (5), Marvel (6), Burning Wheel (3)
- 4pm: Houses of the Blooded (4), Always Never Now (5), Psi*Run (4), Burning Wheel (4), Fiasco (4), Marvel (5), Leverage (4), Fiasco (4), Dread (5)
- 6pm: Apocalypse World (5), Fiasco (4), Marvel (6), Marvel (4), Action Castle (3), Zombie Cinema (3), Eclipse Phase (5), Marvel (5)
- 8pm: Fiasco (4), Marvel (5), Dresden Files (3), Action Castle (3), Fiasco (6), Mouse Guard (5), Technoir (4)
- 10pm: Fiasco (4), Fiasco (4), Fiasco (4), Psi*Run (4), Eternity (4)
- 10am: FreeMarket (4), Game Design (3)
- 12pm: PsiRun (5), Marvel (5), Lady BlackBird (4), Eclipse Phase (5), Apocalypse World (4), Burning Wheel (4), Marvel (6)
- 2pm: PsiRun (4), Fiasco (4), Fiasco (4), Dread (4)
- 3pm: Mouse Guard (5), Fiasco (4), Fiasco (4), Fiasco (4), The Play’s The Thing (4), 3:16 (4)
A few notes about these numbers:
- This information is a best guess, and our records are sketchy. The number of players are definitelyÂ wrong in places and we probably missed a few games.
- Similarly, many of these times are not accurate. It may say 2pm but the game may have actually started at 1:30 or 3pm.
- We had 6 tables but at some point we borrowed 3 more and had 9 games going on at the same time.
- A significant portion of the GMs were people who had played games with us, loved GoD, and came back to run games for us!
- Several games had audience members just watching.
- We had a significant number of people who had never roleplayed before but we didn’t track those details.
- We didn’t record how long games ran. They ranged from 30 minutes to 1hr, 2hrs, 4hrs, and 5hrs.
Here are a few snapshots from Games on Demand at PAX East. The event, like the rest of the Tabletop hall, was packed most of the weekend. Here are some of our awesome GMs running games for enthusiastic attendees.
Notably absent from these pictures is Terry Romero, who really held down the fort the whole show. I think she talked to almost every player who sat at one of our tables!
Indie Games Explosion is back for Dexcon 15 and this year there have been Â some awesome additions to the convention.
Today at 2pm the registration for Dexcon 15 goes Live! Today you can register for the convention and seven newÂ Signature events. Check them out with the links below.
Seven Signature Events
The $5000 Interactive Puzzle Challenge
The $1000 Team Space Marine ChampionshipÂ
2012 Iron GM Reginional Semi-Final
The $1000 Beat the Mob! Game Show
The $1000 Night’s Black Agents Team ChampionshipÂ
The $1000 Space Cadets – Live! ExperienceÂ
The $500 Summer Poker Championship
If you are interested in running scheduled games, let us know. GMs who put in enough games will receive comped badges.
The event will be held in the Convention Center on the upper floor overlooking the Exhibitor hall. We’ll have our own 12 table room, giving us twice the space we had last year, in a more central location. To make best use of the space, we’ll be splitting the tables into both standard Games on Demand open gaming and scheduled games, taking tickets for both as we did last year (1 specific or generic ticket / 2 hour slot).
If you’re interested in running scheduled games or volunteering to GM open games or help facilitate GoD, let us know. Volunteers and GMs who put in enough hours will get comped badges (and maybe a place to sleep). In addition, Indie Press Revolution and possibly other vendors will be offering discounts for GMs and players.